7 May 2014

Supporting LGBT film making: Cat Skin Q&A

Cat Skin, a new UK based lesbian coming of age feature film, is now in production, and we caught up with the leads, Jodie Hirst and Faye Sewell after their first shoot.

You can still support the film via Indiegogo (just until May 13th)

Planet London (PL): How did you get involved with Cat Skin?
Jodie (JH): Dan saw a short I made online and got in touch. I loved the synopsis that Dan had written and knew straight away that I wanted to be a part of this film. Having got myself an audition, Dan sent through the script and I knew I had to play Cat.

Faye (FS): I got involved in Cat Skin after seeing a casting notice with a plot outline and character breakdowns. I sent my details in, auditioned and screen tested and then was delighted to be cast as April.


PL: How has the first days of filming gone, any surprises?

JH: the first few days of filming were great, I think because it was a tough shoot, as far as early mornings and late late nights we bonded well as a team, this is clearly a team project, everyone's opinions and ideas count and that's what I love. Surprises? A guy weeing (a member of the public during a night shoot) up a brick wall was pretty surprising!

FS: I really enjoyed the first filming block, it was great to start on the Cat Skin journey- bringing April to life and exploring her world. It was also a chance to see some sights in Brighton that I otherwise wouldn't have and meet some great characters.

PL: How do you relate to your character?


JH: I love Cat, the moment I read the script I knew she was me. Confident in herself and knowing who she is, but not one to express and shout about it. She keeps herself to herself, that way she can't get hurt, right? She's not sad, just lonely, she craves friendship and love since the passing of her father. And who hasn't been in a situation where they crave friendship or love? She's a toughy on the outside but soft as anything on the inside. That sentence not only sums up Cat but also me.

FS: I felt a connection to April (and Cat and April's story) from the first moment I read the script. It was a project I felt passionately that I wanted to be a part of. April is a sweet character and I found her very likeable and easy to relate to.

PL: You're funding through IndieGoGo, how has this gone so far?
JH: The Indiegogo campaign has gone brilliantly so far, the support we have received is incredible and I want to say thank you to each and every person who has sponsored us! But there is still more time to help us and we really cannot do this project with out the help of you guys, so please keep pledging and supporting we really appreciate it! 

FS: The Indiegogo experience has been touching, there's still a distance to go, funding wise, but what we have received so far has been very gratefully received and its so wonderful to see the level of support out there.


PL: What do you think the finished film will look like?
FS: I think the finished film will be a testament to the wonderful crew- the level of artistry in shaping each shot has been off the charts- so much hard work has gone into the final look- the composition, lighting, makeup and costumes- all the elements I'm sure will come together in the final cut to create a visually fascinating film.


PL: Can we expect any iconic shots from London or Brighton?
FS: I think there will be some iconic shots...I don't want to spoiler anything but I will say that it was really eerily beautiful seeing the West Pier in the small hours of the morning, faintly illuminated by moonlight.


PL: If anyone is hoping to be an extra, any hints on where we should be hanging out?

FS: Anyone who wants to be an extra I would suggest they get in touch with the production for future crowd scenes. Or they could hang out around Brighton and they might be lucky...
PL: Is there a scene you are particularly looking forward to shooting?
JH: I am looking forward to shooting the scenes with my mum, I think the audience will get a real chance to see the softer Cat, the more vulnerable Cat. That's exciting to play. 

FS: Its really hard to chose one scene, I'm looking forward to shooting the whole film! I think that Cat and April's first conversation will be a lovely one though if I have to choose just one- I think that's a special moment.



By Katie




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Ultimate-Planet.com 2011-2013

Part of the Ultimate Planet universe: Ultimate Planet | Planet London | Planet Publishing | Planet PR and Marketing | Planet Fiction